current location： Home> Research Team> Faculty
Associate professor with tenure in the School of Advanced Agricultural Sciences, the deputy director of the Institute for New Rural Development, a senior research fellow of the China Center for Agricultural Policy (CCAP)
Dr. Hongmei Yi is an associate professor with tenure in the School of Advanced Agricultural Sciences, the deputy director of the Institute for New Rural Development, a senior research fellow of the China Center for Agricultural Policy (CCAP), and Bo Ya Young Scientist at Peking University. Before joining Peking University in 2016, she had been working in the CCAP in the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) for six years. She used to be the co-PI of the theme “Keeping kids in School” in the Rural Education Action Program (REAP) which was jointly founded by scholars from CCAP-CAS and Stanford University. Her research interests focus on agricultural economics and development economics. She has been exploring how to improve the policy design (from the perspective of behavioral insights) to facilitate the accumulation of human capital for agricultural and rural development through rigorous impact evaluation and social experiments. She has led around 20 projects including the Excellent Young Scientist Fund granted by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC). Until August 2022, she has published 95 peer-reviewed papers, of which 63 in SCI/SSCI indexed journals, including Journal of Development Economics, Journal of Comparative Economics, Ecological Economics, the BMJ, Health Affairs, Social Science & Medicine, Reading Research Quarterly, World Bank Economic Review, China Economic Review, etc. She was listed as one of “Elsevier Highly Cited Chinese Researchers” in applied economics in 2020. Meanwhile, she actively supports government policy making. She has submitted 15 policy briefs to China’s central government. Twelve of them got approved by the national leaders and/or the leaders of the State Council.
2016–present Associate Professor with tenure
School of Advanced Agricultural Sciences, Peking University
2015-present Senior Research Fellow
China Center for Agricultural Policy, Peking University
2018-present Deputy Dean/Lead PI of Integrated Rural and Urban Development
Institute for New Rural Development, Peking University
2020-present Adjunct Research Fellow
Institute for Global Health and Development, Peking University
2005-2009 Ph.D. in Agricultural Economics and Management,
University of Chinese Academy of Sciences, 100049, China
2002-2005 MS in Industry Economics,
Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan, 430070, China
1998-2002 BS in Agricultural Economics and Management,
Huazhong Agricultural University, Wuhan, 430070, China
- Xiao Liang, Scott Rozelle, Hongmei Yi*, The Impact of COVID-19 on Employment and Income of Vocational Graduates in China: Evidence from Surveys in January and July 2020. China Economic Review. 2022, 75 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chieco.2022.101832.
- Hongmei Yi*, Huidi Liu, Zhiping Wang, Hao Xue, Sean Sylvia, Haonan Shi, Dirk Teuwen, Ying Han and Jiong Qin, The Competence of Village Clinicians in the Diagnosis and Management of Childhood Epilepsy in Southwestern China and Its Determinants: A Cross-Sectional Study. Lancet Regional Health - Western Pacific. 2020, 3, 100031 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lanwpc.2020.100031.
- Hongmei Yi*, Di Mo, Huan Wang, Qiufeng Gao, Yaojiang Shi, Paiou Wu, Cody Abbey and Scott Rozelle, Do Resources Matter? Effects of an In-Class Library Project on Student Independent Reading Habits in Primary Schools in Rural China. Reading Research Quarterly. 2019, 54(3), 383-411 https://doi.org/10.1002/rrq.238.
- Hongmei Yi, Guirong Li*, Liying Li, Prashant Loyalka, Linxiu Zhang, Jiajia Xu, Elena Kardanova, Henry Shi and James Chu, Assessing the Quality of Upper-Secondary Vocational Education and Training: Evidence from China. Comparative Education Review. 2018, 62(2), 199-230 https://doi.org/10.1086/696920.
- Prashant Loyalka, Xiaoting Huang, Linxiu Zhang, Jianguo Wei, Hongmei Yi*, Yingquan Song, Yaojiang Shi and James Chu, The Impact of Vocational Schooling on Human Capital Development in Developing Countries: Evidence from China. World Bank Economic Review. 2016, 30(1), 143-170 https://doi.org/10.1093/wber/lhv050.
- Hongmei Yi, Grant Miller*, Linxiu Zhang, Shaoping Li and Scott Rozelle, Intended and Unintended Consequences of China's Zero Markup Drug Policy. Health Affairs. 2015, 34(8), 1391-1398 https://doi.org/10.1377/hlthaff.2014.1114.
- Hongmei Yi, Yingquan Song, Chengfang Liu*, Xiaoting Huang, Linxiu Zhang, Yunli Bai, Baoping Ren, Yaojiang Shi, Prashant Loyalka, James Chu and Scott Rozelle, Giving Kids a Head Start: The Impact and Mechanisms of Early Commitment of Financial Aid on Poor Students in Rural China. Journal of Development Economics. 2015, 113, 1-15 https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.2937681.
- Prashant Loyalka, Chengfang Liu, Yingquan Song, Hongmei Yi*, Xiaoting Huang, Jianguo Wei, Linxiu Zhang, Yaojiang Shi, James Chu and Scott Rozelle, Can Information and Counseling Help Students from Poor Rural Areas Go to High School? Evidence from China. Journal of Comparative Economics. 2013, 41, 1012-1025 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jce.2013.06.004.
- Linxiu Zhang, Hongmei Yi*, Renfu Luo, Changfang Liu and Scott Rozelle, The Human Capital Roots of the Middle Income Trap: the Case of China. Agricultural Economics. 2013, (44), 151-162 https://doi.org/10.22004/ag.econ.131119.
- Hongmei Yi*, Linxiu Zhang, Renfu Luo, Yangjiang Shi, Di Mo, Carl Brinton and Scott Rozelle, Dropping Out: Why Are Students Leaving Junior High in China's Poor Rural Areas? International Journal of Educational Development. 2012, (32), 555-563 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijedudev.2011.09.002.